Couples choosing grills, power tools in bridal registries
A growing number of engaged couples are listing home-improvement products in their gift registries, according to a just released survey by TheKnot.com and WeddingChannel.com. More than 12,000 couples with 2010 wedding dates were polled in the annual survey. Highlights include:
On average, engaged couples register at three retail stores, and 3% of the respondents registered at Home Depot in 2010. This compares to 2% in 2009.
• 43% registered for grilling, barbeque, and outdoor entertainment Items, compared to 39% in 2009.
• 20% registered for yard/lawn care/patio items, compared to 19% in 2009.
• 16% registered for power tools. In 2009, the number was 18%.
• 66% registered for home appliances (irons, vacuums, fans, etc.), unchanged from 66%.
• kitchen appliances/electrics and bakeware were the most popular gifts, at 91% and 90%, respectively.
Engaged couples are using wedding Web sites and social networking platforms like Facebook more often for their registries. The average family gift spend is $146. For friends, gifts generally average $79.